Tuesday, December 2, 2008

PRASA 2008

So, this year PRASA was in Cape Town, and, riding on the work of my loyal minion (i.e. my M. student), I was once represented. Notes from this year:
  • I should never, ever, ever get a job which involves commuting in on the N2 - taking around 90 minutes to get from my flat to the conference venue each morning was not a good way to start the day.
  • I should be more forceful when chairing sessions - I left the long talk to go on embarrassingly long.
  • Ideally, I should duck out of chairing sessions more often. It's easier to catnap in the back during the boring bits that way.
  • Two bottles of wine per table (1 white, 1 red) just doesn't cut it for the conference dinner
  • I'm very glad I wasn't driving after the conference dinner (see previous point).
  • Ordering off the menu a week in advance didn't work well, and hopefully that won't be repeated for some time.
  • I came away with fewer things that struck me as really interesting this time - I think the first point played a role in that, though.
  • The meeting footage database does sound like a fun dataset to have on hand. I'll hopefully remember to follow up on that.

No comments: